21st Century Teacher Training
NAKAMURA GAKUEN GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL
DAY 1: Tuesday, July 22 , 1:00 - 5:00 pm
Pre-Training Preparation (1.0 hours)
- Prior to the training, teachers will complete a pre-training survey, review professional development materials, and select and collect 1-2 lesson plans (3-5 day lesson series) that would might be suitable for revision.
- COMPLETE Vikki's 5-Question Survey.
- REVIEW professional development materials by clicking on the links below. Copies of handouts will be provided during the workshop.
- SELECT a topic and a lesson series or short unit of study that you would like to revise to incorporate active learning, formative and summative assessments, use of digital tools and resources, and project-based learning. Collect resources that might be useful when planning (such as a textbook, laboratory manual, primary source, multimedia, or literary work). Bring copies of these resources in print or digital form.
- BRING a laptop to the workshop so that you may participate in workshop activities.
Seminar: Introduction to Teaching in the 21st Century (1.5 hours)
- In this seminar, teachers will examine five components of Teaching in the 21st Century. They will explore digital tools and engage in active learning as they consider ways to enhance the content, communication, learning, assessment, and milieu to support student learning. They will consider which 21st century skills and themes, including the four Cs (creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, and communication), are most applicable to their subject areas.
Workshop 1: 21st Century Active Learning and Project Planning (2.0 hours)
- In this seminar, teachers will participate in the demonstration of a variety of active learning activities. They will consider the backward design model as they begin development/revision of a lesson plan to include enhanced content, communication, and learning activities.
- Before the next session, teachers will self-assess their lesson plan draft using a formative checklist and prepare for sharing with colleagues.
DAY 2: wednesDAY, JULY 23 , 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Activity: Peer Critique and Feedback (0.5 hours)
- In this activity, teachers will share their topic and lesson plan ideas and engage in peer critique. They will practice how to give feedback using a rubric and/or scoring guide.
Workshop 2: 21st Century Assessment (1.0 hours)
- In this workshop, teachers will explore differences between formative and summative assessment, review strategies for monitoring student progress, and consider the value of checklists, rubrics, and scoring guides for promoting student success.
Workshop 3: Integrating Project-Based Learning and Designing Assessment Resources (1.5 hours)
- In this workshop, teachers will consider elements of project-based learning (PBL) and incorporate a project-based learning activity into one of their lesson or unit plans as an extension activity.
Workshop 4: 21st Century Instructional Materials and Digital Tools (3.0 hours)
- In this workshop, teachers will identify ways to create a 21st century milieu through the use of enhanced instructional resources, including guided notes and multimedia. They will also explore how to use digital tools, including multimedia and content-specific interactives, Quizlet and Popplet. They will use RubiStar to draft a rubric for their PBL activity.
Concluding and Post-Training Activities (0.5 hours)